Saturday, November 14, 2009

(Red) The beat down in cow town...

Yes Utah lost. I would say not a surprise this is TCUs year. I'm not ashamed to lost to a top 5 team. After all when they go to the BCS that will be more money for the conference and in 2 of the 4 years of the BCS evaluation period the MWC will have 2 bcs teams, Utah (08) and TCU (09). But to the game. Overall the thing that makes me the most sick was the special teams. Jay Hill, the special teams coach, should be suspended for the way special teams played tonight. Granted Utah probably doesn't win tonight anyway but the special teams put the rest of a team in a hole. There was a fumble on a kick off, a blocked punt, a punt returned to the 30 yard line, a couple botched returned kick offs that put the offense in a hole. I would say the special teams were directly responsible for at least 21 points for TCU tonight. The defense, despite the bad numbers, I think played ok at best. They gave up a few big runs but overall the TCU offense only had a couple sustained drives of big yardage. I'd say TCU earned 28 points on offense tonight on good drives. They way they did it was different than i expected too. Dalton didn't overwhelm me tonight. The game plan for him was swing passes and thats about it. Some missed tackles helped those plays out a lot. I still think he is an average qb. The running backs did a great job later in the game when the defense was tired. They would use the speed of utah against them and misdirect the running plays to get the momentum moving one way and coming back the other, a lot of plays utah used to beat TCU within the last 3 years. And offensively I think it was ok there as well given the quality of TCUs defense. I think Utah scored the most points on them this year, 28. Wynn had a bad INT for a TD but it was a freshman mistake locking in on the wide out. He made some ballsy plays however, a great rollout and improv throw to DeVonte Christopher. Some great throws to david Reed. Overall I thought he played rather well given the situation. The play calling I wasn't a huge fan of outside of one drive well the calls were mixed well with run and passes of various kinds. I think we should have went to Reed more often. Time after time Reed got behind their corners, no one for the rest of the year will be able to guard Reed, period. I thought they abandoned the run for a little to long to. Yeah it wasn't working very well but still you need to still run the ball to keep the D honest.
It is what it is. We lost. Only for the 2nd time in 2 years. So I'm ok with it overall, just a couple small things could have made this a much closer game and thats the frustrating part. I think Utahs speed matched up well with them just to many mistakes. over 100 yards penalties. most on defense too. We have them in a 3rd and 10 and get an offsides and turn it into 3rd and short. With all that being said Utah needs to get up off the mat now and move on to SDSU. I don't think Utah loses again this year. But they need to worry about SDSU and take care of business there, get some confidence back and they will be in great shape. This teams youth will build upon a loss like this. It should make them hungrier for the next meeting with the Frogs next year... back in Rice-Eccles Stadium.

And WTF happened in Albuquerque?  BYU almost losing to UNM, a winless UNM. I didn't watch the game but wow. BYU is vulnerable right now going into Air Force not to mention the match up at the end of the season with Utah. I think there is reason to be concerned in Provo. If there wasn't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment