Monday, November 23, 2009

(Blue)*WARNING* I intend to deceive.

I like Air Force.
That being said, I am not too fond of refs these days. As is customary, there was a good old fashioned throw down with AFA this past Saturday. There were the chop blocks, triple options, and discipline that we've come to expect from AFA. What was new were the douche bag calls that effectively took away two touch downs from us and gave one to them. In the interest of being impartial, the calls were legitimate rules and I am sure that most of them were warranted. What I disliked were the following- an unnecessary roughness against our defender when the offense was still trying to run. The flagging of Hafoka down when he rolled over a defender and never actually touched the ground. And of course, the intent to deceive call. Basically, it was a like the first sneaky move ever that BYU has pulled this year (not true, but for effect) and it worked beautifully. What bothers me is this: the wording of the penalty. My friend RED informs me that the call was technically sound and I believe him, but it makes the officials sound like morons. If there was no intent to deceive in football, what the h*@% would the point be? I can just see it now, the QB lines up, and then shouts clearly to the defense, "HEY, we are going to throw a short pass to Pitta and a left to right crossing route, and... uh, it's on two guys. ARe you guys ready to start? Great, ok, HUT HUT..." Well you can imagine. Anyway, we walked away with a victory and Big Steve and I felt justified that at least we didn't freeze out butts off in Lavell Edwards Stadium for nothing.
Now, for the enemy at had.

University of Utah... I don't even want to talk about you. I predict a victory for BYU, but a close game. History backs that up, in 8 of the last 12 conflicts, the score has been determined by12 points or less(I read that in our student paper... which I write for, so it's obviously a sound well assembled document:)-Shameless plug). I worry about the passing game of their offense, but I believe our defense will find a way to deny them too much. I like our offensive scheme, if we aren't too predictable and we can give Hall enough time. AND IF HE DOESN'T throw INTERCEPTIONS! I say, let the runners loose this game, and throw to shake things up sparingly. Anyway, I am officially throwing down the gauntlet for RED to address the situation, and I am sure he will with gusto.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. I will respond in short time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. who is gusto? i've heard of this gusto before and to be honest i'm not sure i like this fellow...he seems a little shady...gets with everyone from what i hear...but that sounds like something red would do...or has done..or will do again? question mark?

    ReplyDelete